Seventh Symposium of the African Network for Chemical Analysis of Pesticides (ANCAP)
20th - 22nd December 2014
The Reef Hotel, Mombasa, Kenya
Environmental Pollution, Food Safety and Public Health as Related to Pesticides
16 oral papers were presented by scientist during the symposium on different aspects of pesticide research conducted in the respective countries. The presentations reflected the theme of the symposium and they included the aspects of monitoring, assessment, transportation and status of pesticide residues. A discussion followed after each presentation to discuss the presented work and its reflection on the environment and society
On the last day of the symposium the participants held a discussion on how to improve ANCAP activities.The following recommendations were made:
2. Strengthening collaboration among ANCAP members through:
3. Creation and availing an online database of:
4. To have a plan for attracting political will to support ANCAP activities. This should include inviting relevant government representatives in ANCAP meetings. This could also be instrumental in the response of policy makers in addressing the continued use of banned pesticides.
5. ANCAP needs a strategic plan: to focus the way forward which can be uniformly understood by all members. The board should map the way forward for creating this strategic plan.
6. ANCAP should plan and conduct income generating programs to support her activities. These could include short courses on :
7. The board composition should be substantively appointed and also include Rwanda and Nigeria.
At the end the participants were awarded certificate of participation in the symposium.